Monday, December 7, 2009

Naive Theory

Naive Theory is a concept which I was recently intorduced to by my chair. It deals with misconceptions people have in life, and how they grow up believing these misconceptions are truth and not misconceptions at all. For example in my research I discuss certain misconceptions people conclude about African Americans, in particular, our family structure. There are a few people who my have heard, read, or had a friend tell them about certain misconceptions that had no factual data to back it up. But they grew up believing these misconceptions as truth and not only treat African American according to these misconceptions in a certain way but also spread the misconception to other indviduals. Many researchers have juggled with the idea on how to stop this from happening. Possibly, changing the way people process information and learn new cognitive ways of learning. I thought about myself and experiences I have been in where I was at fault for doing this. Sometimes staying comfortably with what you think you know and not stepping outside the box is "safe". The real growth and strength comes from change and fundamental acquisition of new knowledge. The truth for many people is an obstacle and for others a certain freedom. Life give us the opportunity to learn everything we possibly can and to have an open door to obtain new insight. Have there been instances where you let misconception guide any part of your life?

2 comments:

  1. To answer your final question, yes, I’ve allowed misconceptions about certain things guide parts of my life, and in some instances, large meaningful parts of my existence. Everyone has misconceptions about gender, race, religion, society, government, etc. For some or most, they don’t know that they are misconceptions, these are things they were taught as children/adults to be “truths”. Although, many of these “truths” are not based in fact.
    If or when I find evidence that negates something I’ve always believed as “truth”, I attempt to change my misconception of that belief. But changing a belief does not come easily. Many other people may also encounter a “truth” is no longer true, but they struggle so much that it becomes much easier to continue in ignorance. With ignorance there is no true growth. Its easier to believe what you’ve always believed. Changing is a difficult task, especially when it comes to changing your mind-set.
    Secondly, I because of what I wrote above, I don’t think there will ever be a mass misconception transformation in individuals. Some yes, those who are willing to learn and grow and expand their concept of all the “truths” they’ve been taught.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change starts one person at a time. The key part is wanting to know and acknowledging your limitatons.

    ReplyDelete