Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Right v. Wrong doesn't mean You v. Me

When I was told or confronted about being wrong,I would feel a certain spine tingling sensation. This would automatically force me to put up a defense. I had to protect myself from feeling embarassed or in my head ashamed that I may not know what it is I believed I knew. In our lives we have relationships that are based on many things. For example, family, friends, professional, etc. How we let people influence our pool of personal knowledge is different from each relationship category to the next. But what should not differ is our personal wanting to learn from others. And to allow others to correct us when we are wrong. In some instances the embarassment that I felt, fueled the fire for me to be right about something. So in essence I began to find weakness in an conversation or change he subject matter that I had superior expertise in. What is paramount was to identify that because I am wrong and your right I am not less of a person. It in fact means that if I am smart I will acknowledge the lesson learn and apply it next time. We as human-beings tend to focus on what's right and wrong. And not what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment